Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!)
Ave, Jef, believe it or not, I just now went back to this thread and saw that you’d asked me a question… a thousand pardons for my tardes! So, your question:

Quote:I made shoulder pteryges in two overlapping fanlike layers. They don't exactly fall like I would want the to fall. I might try your method to improve this... Were did you glue them onto the fan? Only at the top? Or over the entire length?
I just glued them in at the top… I’m of the mindset that these should not really be connected to one another more than that. The sleeve ones are, on officer uniforms, usually fairly short anyway, which will prevent the overly-splayed, pteruges-blowing-in-the-wind look.

Quote:The Adamklissi soldiers aren't praetorians, they're common rank and file...
You’re absolutely right, the Adamklissi completely slipped my mind! How careless of me. :oops:

Antonius, if I may make a suggestion (of little use now, but perhaps for future projects): if you’re going to use a sewing machine for finishing work, then it would be better to have the thread color match the fabric color. Machine-stitching, while very neat in appearance, is fairly identifiable to most. Do the opposite with hand stitching, if you have any: make the thread some off-color, so as to draw attention to the fact that it’s hand-sewn.

Quote:I suppose if I make the pteryges long enough to go past the shoulder plates the ends of the fringe would be ok....sucks cuz there aren't a lot of pteryges in reliefs with segmentata. – Matt/Magnus
I’m finding it had to find any(on segmentata-wearing legionaries), other than this one from the Marcus Aurelius monument:
[Image: ?action=view&current=praewma3.jpg]
And if those are pteruges, then your last suggestion (the fringe just clearing the shoulder plates) would be very accurate.

Quote:Excuse me, but the image posted by Anthony clearly shows the soldiers wearing the segs also wearing short pteruges similar to the one worn by the guy to the left in the curass, pointing to a similar subarmalis worn by both types. –Robert Wimmers
[color=darkblue]Those smaller “pterugesâ€

Messages In This Thread
Late response... - by Tribune Valerius - 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Re: Late response... - by Tarbicus - 11-29-2007, 08:45 AM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 12-06-2007, 06:12 PM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 01-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Re: pteruges - by Tarbicus - 01-16-2008, 10:50 AM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Re: pteruges - by Magnus - 01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Re: my method for sleeve pteruges - by muskitear - 01-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,655 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Friendship-bracelets as pteruges Zarathustra 5 593 09-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges Vitruvius 14 3,066 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius