Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proto-Centurion question
Hello! I've been viewing these forums on and off for several months now but this is my first post. It's nice having a site like this because I'm teaching myself Roman history for research purposes in writing a certain book ive been working on. The book is part of a much larger work that demands research on a huge range of subjects (everything under the sun..and over it too). So I dont have time to properly educate myself on the subject or attend school on it. Therefore I try to weed through articles all over the library and internet to get an idea on a few things I need to know for the setting for this particular book. The setting only takes place in the years 149 to possibly 146BC so I'm more interested in roman-greek relations leading up to the eventual roman provinces in macedonia and greece (therefore I am interested in middle republic rome, and late hellenistic greece.) This has led me to learn more about the Roman army at the time and I have a decent concept of it.

Wikipedia is a very convenient tool but I have critical caution on some of it and most of it doesnt cover the subjects in detail so I've come here, as my knowledge needs to be practical as well as scholarly.

Also, I've taken to the sources (for the sake of convenience) used by the team of Rome Total Realism, a mod for a game I'm sure some of you are acquainted with. So I am wondering (pending the release of RTR 7.0) how much I could trust some of their historical data, particularly on the visual end (with the obvious exception that every soldier isnt going to be dressed and armed uniformly like in the game). If not are there other visual sources you guys could lead me to?

So this brings me to a couple of questions, one, am I allowed to post questions about various things here or is there another place for that? Or is it frowned upon here? If so then I apologize, If not then I have my first question that I cant seem to solve and is very important to me.

I've pieced together the idea that the Centurion was first put in place by the Marius Reforms, if this is true, then what would have been the equivalent (if any), to the Centurion in the Manipular army in place during the Third Punic war? For instance rather than a Century of 80 men, a leader(officer) of each 120 man maniple, or a certain division thereof?
If so what would he have been called and how would he have been armed? If the Centurion was somehow around that would make things convenient, but I now doubt this to be the case.

If it is allowed I will be posting random questions like this every-once in awhile. Please correct any inaccuracies in my knowledge if you feel up to it, thanks.
Patrick Orlando

Messages In This Thread
Proto-Centurion question - by Cruxik - 09-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Re: Proto-Centurion question - by Tarbicus - 09-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Re: Proto-Centurion question - by Matthew Amt - 09-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Re: Proto-Centurion question - by Cruxik - 09-16-2007, 01:59 AM
Re: Proto-Centurion question - by Paullus Scipio - 09-16-2007, 07:17 AM
Re: Proto-Centurion question - by Tarbicus - 09-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Proto-centurion - by Paullus Scipio - 09-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Re: Proto-Centurion question - by Tarbicus - 09-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Re: Proto-Centurion question - by Cruxik - 09-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Proto-centurion - by Paullus Scipio - 09-19-2007, 11:08 PM