Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earlier Republican closed boots?
Tarbicus wrote:
Quote:I just went back to Graham's Ancient Warfare article, and they're actually not the same as the McBride versions in the Osprey book on the Republican Legionary. I'm kind of convinced Angus McBride might have based his on a Gallic type of boot, or even Celt-Iberian. Or some such.

Well finally a comment about the Pullo and Vorenus illustration and its about their.........boots!!!
Yes, the boots are based on those from Qasr Ibrim in southern Egypt and as Martin says's they are similar to the Mainz type too. Pullo's boots were also based on the republican tombstone of centurio Lorarius illustrated in the same article and it is generally assumed that officers wore them rather than legionaries.

If there are illustrations of legionaries wearing them it could be a case of the usual problem which we so often forget. That there simply is no evidence available but the reconstruction scenario demands that the blanks are filled.
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Earlier Republican closed boots? - by Tarbicus - 09-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Re: Earlier Republican closed boots? - by Graham Sumner - 09-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Boots - by Graham Sumner - 09-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Re: Boots - by Tarbicus - 09-10-2007, 02:53 PM
BOOTS - by Graham Sumner - 09-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Re: Earlier Republican closed boots? - by Conal - 09-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Re: - by Chuck Russell - 04-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did a much earlier Manual like thStrategikon exist Palmerius2002 28 4,345 07-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Mark Graef