Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signa, Vexilla and Aquila Hybrid\'s
Thanks Paul a very full and lucid answer.

The info about the aquila, the imago and the signa I can see straight away because of the dedicated ranks asoscaited with them. Just out of interest whats the source for the info on the praetorian standards. This is the thing I'm chasing really.

The San Marcello relief (thanks for identifying it); in translating the items on the standards - the paired standards have two decorations just above the handles, what do you thinkt they are? :?

I would have said that the lower was the 'tuft' but it looks almost scale like in depiction. Add to this a similar looking item on the central standard, which is at a mid point and seems an odd place to have a 'tuft'. The other decoration on the outer standards, I would have thought a laterally mounted wreath, but they all show quite clearly vertically mounted laurel wreaths which area more finely carved. So what is it? an oak wreath?
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Messages In This Thread
Hybrid Standards - by Paullus Scipio - 09-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Re: Signa, Vexilla and Aquila Hybrid\'s - by Marcus Caecilius Avitus - 09-03-2007, 07:03 AM
Hybrid Signa - by Paullus Scipio - 09-03-2007, 07:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Segmentata mail hybrid Doc 19 4,897 09-29-2015, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Representing auxiliary cavalry vexilla Stuart at GEG 0 984 06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Stuart at GEG
  Early Vexilla Sean Manning 5 2,046 05-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Last Post: antiochus