Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signa, Vexilla and Aquila Hybrid\'s
Salvete Omnes,

Can anyone shed any light on the features of the standards (vexilla, signa and aquila) in particular what is the source of the depiction that we all follow. My particular point is that I am seeing more and more carved depictions of what seem to hybrid standards. I have seen several standards which appear to be signum but also have the vexillium 'flag'. Recently, at the Bardo museum I saw a depiction of a standard which seemed to be a combination of all three!

The question that first crosses my mind is, of course, is this artistic licence and should we trust evidence from tombs and friezes?

The flip side of this is, aren't the carvings the source of our current info anyway. To my knowledge we have no archeaological finds (intact) of any of the standards (with the exception of the 'Victoria' vexillum - which may not be military anyway).

Valete
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Messages In This Thread
Signa, Vexilla and Aquila Hybrid\'s - by Marcus Caecilius Avitus - 09-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Hybrid Standards - by Paullus Scipio - 09-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Hybrid Signa - by Paullus Scipio - 09-03-2007, 07:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Segmentata mail hybrid Doc 19 4,870 09-29-2015, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Representing auxiliary cavalry vexilla Stuart at GEG 0 976 06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Stuart at GEG
  Early Vexilla Sean Manning 5 2,021 05-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Last Post: antiochus