Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basing a Parazonium of that of Germanicus Casear\'s
Ave,

THANKS EVERYONE!

Quote:Why the sandwich construction? I know that's the way the xiphos was made. Is that why?

You basically nailed it, the Xiphos was really the only real thing I had to go by. However; I also didn’t have any real close up photos of a Parazonium until I was half way through the project. In retrospect…. I could have enclosed the tang… oh well, next time!

Quote:Is it possible that the Parazonium wasn't an actual weapon but like the Fasces an insignia to be carried and displayed?

I would venture to guess… yes and no. I think it was more of a status symbol, judging by the way it’s held in heroic fashion but, I also think it only makes sense for it to also be an actual short sword or long dagger… aka a weapon. I recall reading somewhere that an officer would drop his Parazonium for a gladius when in battle but, I don’t remember where I read that.

Okay... I'm heading on holiday!!! It's off to New Hampshire for a week to relax and go camping!!!
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Basing a Parazonium of that of Germanicus Casear\'s - by AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 08-24-2007, 09:55 PM