Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camillan Legions
Since the Internet has so little good sources about the early Roman army, I would like to know more details about pre-Polybian Roman legions.

Usually, the image I have from a Pre-Marian legion was a bunch of Velites throwing javelins at the enemy, then falling back so that the Hastati could wear down the enemy, then falling back so that the Principes could finally tear them down. But then, my basic view has been quite challenged: I didn't care too much about earlier stages of a legion, which included Rorarii, Leves and such... And the individual equipment of a Roman soldier was very different during the Samnite Wars than during the First Punic Wars or during the battle of Pydna, as I discovered.

I use to play a game, called Rome: Total War, that some of you might know. I've recently installed a modification called "Europa Barbarorum" that adds historical accuracy to the game, and that includes earlier Camillan units. Just some basic questions:

1. What was the individual equipment of each soldier during the Camillan period? Did the Hastati wear any armour at all? The mod portrays the Principes as spearmen wearing only a brestplate. Is that true? How could wealthy soldiers only afford that for body protection? And why did they use spears instead of swords, considering the Triarii already fought in phalanx?

2. What was the effectiveness of Camillan legions, and why did they reform? I presume most Roman legions could have been better equiped from start. Was mail already known in the 4th century BC in Rome?

3. Did the Triarii, the last Roman line, fight in hoplite style with hoplite equipment? And what's the role of Rorarii, etc...? In the mod, they're portrayed as skirmishers, light spearmen, slingers, etc... but I understand their role was vague enough to allow for variations.

I would also like to know when was the Gladius introduced in the Roman army, and what did the Romans use earlier. Presumably a greek xyphos or a local shortsword. Is it known exactly?

Any good information and sources are welcome.
Rodrigo S.

Messages In This Thread
Camillan Legions - by Johannes II August - 08-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Re: Camillan Legions - by Jeroen Pelgrom - 08-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Re: Camillan Legions - by Matthew Amt - 08-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Re: Camillan Legions - by mpags - 08-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Re: Camillan Legions - by Johannes II August - 08-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Re: Camillan Legions - by mpags - 08-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Re: Camillan Legions - by Poftim - 08-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Re: Camillan Legions - by mpags - 08-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Re: Camillan Legions - by Roy - 08-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Re: Camillan Legions - by mpags - 08-13-2007, 03:51 PM