Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dissertation on Re-enactment - a plea for aid!
1) What gender are you?

Female

2) What is your age group?

36-45

3) What period do you portray?

Roman

4) What role do you play?

Civilian - baker, jeweler, seamstress, cosmetician

5) Why do you take part in living history activities? Which is the most important reason?

a. Educate the public
b. Research for myself
c. Hobby that's just darned fun (who doesn't like to play dress-up?)

6) Are potential ethical or moral issues something you would take into account when participating in an event?

Sometimes, yes.

7) If yes, what issues would you consider? What is the most important?

a. Need for authenticity - sometimes the need for authenticity conflicts with the needs of a modern audience at public events. For example, at some of our school presentations, we are asked NOT to present information about the Roman religion, which was a part of everything the Romans did.
b. Violence as entertainment - I think sometimes it's hard for a modern audience to understand the violence inherent in Roman culture. To gloss over that, though, would be to misrepresent the Romans. Presenting this violence accurately is a form of education.

8 ) Which would be of more importance to you in an event?

Education - at times, it is okay with me to make tiny sacrifices in authenticity for the sake of education (such as fiber content of a garment, for example. As long as it is cut and sewn correctly, the kids in the classroom don't care if it's 90% wool or 100%)

9) At what point would you consider an event unethical or inappropriate?

I would not consider an inauthentic display actually unethical, but definitely inappropriate. Since education is my main purpose, glaring inauthenticities do my group a disservice (with exceptions such as noted in #8 ).

10) Have you any other comments?

I'd love to see your results!
Aurelia Coritana
aka Laura Sweet
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.theromanway.org[/url]
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.legionten.org[/url]

Si vales, gaudeo. (If you are well, then I am happy.)

Messages In This Thread
survey - by Robbie Phillips - 07-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Re: Dissertation on Re-enactment - a plea for aid! - by Aurelia - 07-31-2007, 08:12 PM