Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dissertation on Re-enactment - a plea for aid!
Here's Mine:

1) Gender

Male

2) What is your age group?

36-45

3) What period do you portray?

1st half, 1st Century CE

4) What role do you play?

Regular legionary (although I'm not strictly a reenactor since I'm a Legion of One)

5) Why do you take part in living history activities? Which is the most important reason?

If/when I do, it will be the experience of living at least a semblance of the history I've read so much about and from/ through that being able to share the knowledge with fellows and the public (sort of two reasons I know, but interlinked)

6) Are potential ethical or moral issues something you would take into account when participating in an event?

Expecting you mean with respect to things the Romans did- conquering, reprisals for rebellion, keeping slaves, etc., not at all. It's inapporpriate to judge different times by current standards of what's right and wrong, and as well, I say let he who is without sin cast the first stone- the truth is everyone's been nasty to everyone else throughout time- so I leave that out.

7) If yes, what issues would you consider? What is the most important?

See 6) :wink:

8 ) Which would be of more importance to you in an event?

Getting things right and not spreading misinformation- things that cannot be proven being described as 'how it was', for example, as oppposed to 'how it could have been because we're not entirely sure'.

9) At what point would you consider an event unethical or inappropriate?

It depends on what the audience is enlightened enough to handle. For the general public, unethical would be to demonstrate things that while acceptable at the time, are not now- having reenactors volunteer to be, for example, household slaves might be pushing it in some places, but certainly treating them as sometimes slaves were, would be going too far. The major thing would be the demographic of the audience as well- if children are to be present, many things that could be just demonstrating historical truths such as gladiators willingly submitting to death as part of a match, various punishments such as decimation, etc. that might be shown (gently of course) just to educate people on the facts, may not be suitable for younger audiences.

10) Have you any other comments?

Not at the moment but if I think of any, I'll post them- good luck with the project Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
survey - by Robbie Phillips - 07-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Re: Dissertation on Re-enactment - a plea for aid! - by Matt Lukes - 07-28-2007, 03:17 PM