Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass Wire
Actually in my experience there is a big difference between C230 Red Brass 15% zinc and the much more common C260 Yellow Brass 30% zinc.

To my eye, they are virtually indistinguishable, however red brass is often said to look more like gold. Maybe this is true. Maybe I just haven't seen enough gold. Though that wouldn't make the Romans like it less certainly if true.

Red Brass is much closer to Roman orichalcum. It has the big advantage of beng able to work it hot, which you can not do with yellow brass. Things that require repeated anealing with yellow brass, become a snap with red brass. Just heat to a nice glow and away you go.

Finding red brass can be a bit of a challenge. Apparently it is often used in making American Indian Jewelry. My two sources of supply are Thunderbird Supply www.thunderbirdsupply.com/ and Santa Fe Jewelers Supply www.sfjssantafe.com. I have not used J.S. Ritter , but they are another source. www.jsritter.com. They all have a select of wire and sheet in various gauges.

Red brass does have one rather peculiar property. When it is heated to a glowing temperature the outside layer actually turns a coppery red. This can be cleaned off without too much difficulty. In fact when cleaning off the black you may miss it if not careful.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius

Messages In This Thread
Brass Wire - by Doc - 07-04-2007, 03:43 AM
Re: Brass Wire - by Matt Lukes - 07-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Re: Brass Wire - by Peroni - 07-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Re: Brass Wire - by marsvigilia - 07-04-2007, 09:05 PM