Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stepping forward in time - mid 2nd century shoes
Martin,

As the current owner of the above Vindolanda fishnet shoes (above) I thought I'd comment on the condition of the dye you used.

The iron dye looks great and its "mellowing" to a blackish - brown in spots as I wear and use the shoes. I've lightly oiled the shoes a few times and the dye has not faded or worn from the shoe leather.

The "heart" designs on the Commacio bag have started to do the same, being they have become a blackish - brown.

I do wonder though if this "browning" is part of the oxidization process of the iron in the dye, much like a rust? There is no problem with this since this is the effect I was after, having seen this dye used in many of the US Civil War (Confederate) leather items I have used. Using that dye really brings out the character in the leather!

Iron - Vinegar is a great dye and I hope to see you use it more in the future. What other dyes have you considered using other than iron or madder. Do you think Woad would work for a blue on leather?
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee

Messages In This Thread
Re: Stepping forward in time - mid 2nd century shoes - by Mark Headlee - 09-11-2007, 12:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tuning 3th c. shoes into the 4-5th century ones? Virilis 7 2,232 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Virilis