Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stepping forward in time - mid 2nd century shoes
Quote:Martin, is this shoe dyed at all, or just oiled? If the latter, what kind do you use? Neatsfoot?

At the time of the picture it was treated with neatsfoot oil once. I normally oil and grease (ordinary leather grease) my shoes when I want them brown. The color will darken later on with exposure to light of course.

Quote:What are some period items used to dye leather black or brown?

I don't think this is really known. I have read a few times about "a copper-vitriol substance", but I still have to trace the source for that. I use vinegar+iron at the moment for black: put bits of steel wool into ordinary vinegar and wait for a day or 2, then just brush onto the otherwise untreated leather. This will get you a dark grey, oil/grease afterwards to deepen the color to black:

[Image: Blackening1.jpg]

I don't have a clue when this method was first used, but at least it is something within the capabilities of ancient dyers.

I have never heard of anything to dye leather brown, it's the material's natural color anyway and you can deepen it by oiling/greasing/exposure to light.

Other colors are of course possible as well, I found that madder works well with alumn tanned leather.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Stepping forward in time - mid 2nd century shoes - by Martin Moser - 09-10-2007, 07:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tuning 3th c. shoes into the 4-5th century ones? Virilis 7 2,213 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Virilis