Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julian II (the Apostate) and his policies
Quote:Okay, now we have some numbers. Something like 54,000 dead Romans in the context of a civil war. The battle of Mursa in and of itself resulted in a larger loss of life, sure. But I take issue with calling it a bigger disaster because the consequences were not as disastrous for the Empire as Adrianople since the enemy were Goths who had invaded and defeated Rome within Roman territory. The Empire could probably cope with Mursa far better since all the Romans would have to do is enroll barbarians into the army to make up for the losses.
Theodosius The Great

So, that's just what Theodosius The Great did after Adrianople. What I wanted to stress is that Adrianople, just as Mursa, Abrittus, ... was not a blow the Roman Empire could not cope with. Like always, losse could be made good.

I don't follow you with you're dynastic principle simply because it makes no sense. In the Roman and Byzantine Empire there was never a long lasting dynasty like you have in the medieval France or England. There were uprisings, usurpers (succesful or not).
Relative peace after the conversion of Constantine? One of his sons was even killed in battle by a brother, Julian took over power, even Theodoius The Great had to deal with a very dangerous uprising and his sons, well yeah, they were pawns in the hands of others.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus

Messages In This Thread
Julian ( the apostate ) - by Paullus Scipio - 06-30-2007, 09:03 PM
christian bashing - by Goffredo - 07-02-2007, 06:16 PM
come come Severus - by Goffredo - 07-03-2007, 09:16 AM
come now - by Goffredo - 07-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Re: Julian II (the Apostate) and his policies - by S SEVERUS - 08-07-2007, 06:40 AM
No big battle at Ctesiphon? - by Natuspardo - 08-07-2007, 09:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Julian the Apostate\'s army Justin of the New Yorkii 7 2,969 08-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Justin of the New Yorkii