Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julian II (the Apostate) and his policies
Robert, I agree with you totally! Julian inherited much of the conditions from his predecessors he had to deal with (Rheine & Persian situation, bureaugracy, taxation etc.) In fact I am just now reading Ammianus Marcellinus`s history again. Although there are the usual panegyrical elements in the history it is a great and surprisingly balanced reading (when put into the proper context).

This thing about Julian`s luck running out... I wonder if he had some kind of "death-wish" inherent in him. I mean the several cases he carelessly rushed into the battle as if trying to prove something. Propably this picture is painted afterwards by Ammianus to make the death of Julian more understandable. We humans tend to think about great events in life as a part of some greater narratives :wink: . In fact it is hard for me to understand somebody not feeling some sympathy for this tragic figure :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Julian II (the Apostate) and his policies - by Virilis - 06-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Julian ( the apostate ) - by Paullus Scipio - 06-30-2007, 09:03 PM
christian bashing - by Goffredo - 07-02-2007, 06:16 PM
come come Severus - by Goffredo - 07-03-2007, 09:16 AM
come now - by Goffredo - 07-04-2007, 08:11 AM
No big battle at Ctesiphon? - by Natuspardo - 08-07-2007, 09:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Julian the Apostate\'s army Justin of the New Yorkii 7 2,969 08-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Justin of the New Yorkii