Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IOVI OPTIMO MAXIMO! Wire Inlay is Easier Than You Think!
It looks as if 'large' figures aren't any real trouble either- just using a small, rectangular-faced punch, I made this corner angle that's 12mm on a side and has arms that are 4.5mm wide in just a couple of minutes. I went around the perimeter, then just flattened the interior and it seems to have worked just fine. The brass I used was 0.8mm annealed C26000 (0.032") and was no trouble to hammer into place. It was perhaps a bit too thick as I did have to grind a fair bit off the surface, but overall it worked well I think. It is necessary to be a little careful not to grind too much or the edges hold the inlay in place could be removed. In this case there's still a bit of brass on top of them (hence the less-than-perfect perimeter), but everything's still quite smooth and flush.

[Image: PDR_0187.jpg]

One thing- don't expect large pieces like this to be able to survive bending the base material- the undercuts are very small so while they're sufficient to hold the piece in place, the inaly will pop out if you bend the base. But then that's not to be expected in everyday use of course :wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Re: IOVI OPTIMO MAXIMO! Wire Inlay is Easier Than You Think! - by Matt Lukes - 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enamel and brass inlay on pugio sheaths Marcus Mummius 9 2,833 03-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  Pugios and silver inlay Caballo 23 4,668 12-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS