Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IOVI OPTIMO MAXIMO! Wire Inlay is Easier Than You Think!
Quote:Well done Matt!

So much for several month's worth of incompetently trying to emulate Erik Koenig with engraving chisels. I think I might try your method instead!

Silver is softer than brass by the way. I checked with the School of Jewellry in Birmingham's Jevellry quarter and was advised by the engraving tutor to practice with copper wire, which he said was about the same in it terms of softness as silver, whilst brass, of whatever type, being an allow, was considerably less pliable and thus less suited to hammered inlay.

Crispvs

The difficutly in using a graver is exactly why I considered simpler techniques and to be honest, I'm doubtful the Romans really did it very often either given that you need pretty good, hardened steel to engrave iron. This punch method is SO straightforward and easy that I have a very difficult time imagining it not being how at least some pugio scabbards' inlay was done.

I'll have to try an example with copper wire to see if I can detect any difference Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Re: IOVI OPTIMO MAXIMO! Wire Inlay is Easier Than You Think! - by Matt Lukes - 06-18-2007, 05:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enamel and brass inlay on pugio sheaths Marcus Mummius 9 2,835 03-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  Pugios and silver inlay Caballo 23 4,670 12-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS