Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS!!?? (SWORD)
Ironhand

Huh?

2 pounds (up to 3 maybe) is pretty darn good for a "typical" longsword in the 1460-1500's, why would you want/need something heavier?

And even for practice, I'd certainly want a sword to be as close as possible in weight to the "real thing". Remember us Romans, according to Vegetius, says we trained with *double* weight swords and shields!

But as I've said, the theory is that these later "sport" longswords, by 1570 (?), that they were intentionally made in that shape.

As for "armor piercing rapier"... I know you're making a joke on marketing, and yeah it's a good chuckle, but [you're] a bit off the mark. "armor piercing" and "rapier" don't go together...Ever.

Sorry it's a major pet-peeve when some "expert" at a demo or a faire or some such comes up to [me] and tries to tell me that Maille armor was designed to break the tip off of Rapiers in combat, or that Rapiers were designed to punch through the links/ring holes in Maille armor, or even to punch through plate steel...Or that Rapiers were used on the battlefield. Sorry it just drives me nuts. :?

We still get the story now and then that cranes were used to hoist [Knights] onto thier horsies.

Sorry...sorry...Ok I'm done now, carry on. Don't mind me.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS!!?? (SWORD) - by Virilis - 06-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Re: WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS!!?? (SWORD) - by A_Volpe - 06-19-2007, 01:08 AM