Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stick-and-leather shields
For my Achaemenid research, I have become interested in ancient shields of wooden rods threaded through leather. Gerra (Ancient Greek) or spara (Old Persian) seems to have meant a large one. There seem to have been similar designs using reeds instead of branches.

Published examples include several Sasssanid examples found at Dura Europus (only one of which I have seen), and four Central Asian ones from the Altai barrows (published in S.I. Rudenko, Frozen Tombs of Siberia pp. 219-221). All of these were roughly rectangular. The figure-eight shields shown on Persepolis art might have been of similar construction, as might some Hittite shields of the late Bronze Age. I have seen a claim that the Thracian pelta was made this way, but haven’t seen any evidence. (the Hoplite Association page alludes to experiments and evidence).

Nick Sekunda has repeatedly stated that they were made by threading painted osiers (willow branches) through wet dyed rawhide. I don’t know what evidence the “wet rawhideâ€
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Stick-and-leather shields - by Sean Manning - 06-08-2007, 05:27 AM
Stick and Leather shields - by Paullus Scipio - 06-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Re: Stick-and-leather shields - by Sean Manning - 06-13-2007, 01:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leather-wicker shields Dan D'Silva 8 3,096 04-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva