Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had a go at Roman riding :D (pics included)
Quote: I always thought that Montana was big on horses, with trekking holidays etc. I don't have any evidence to back this up, but I doubt mules would have been ridden into battle, mainly because of speed and height.

Well, If I wanted to trail ride or something, I could probably find a horse. The only animals I could have long enough to fit a Roman saddle and armor onto would be a mule. See, both my family, and all the other people I know have mules. The only horses we have are breeding mares that are basically only used to carry a mule to term :wink:

I'd guess some time with mules might change your mind about height. Also, what mules lack in speed, they more than make up for with sure-footedness (is that actually a word?) and maneuverability. Various rodeo circuits have actually banned mules because they consider them to be an unfair advantage in barrel racing and roping. They do have other traits that make a horse easier to train for mounted combat. However, if other peoples could train camels and elephants, a mule wouldn't be out of the question.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Had a go at Roman riding :D (pics included) - by Marcus Julius - 06-08-2007, 12:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interested in Roman Riding? John Conyard 433 92,631 07-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Renatus