Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armour against weapons or weather?
Who is the artist, I like the picture?

It is a possible interpretation. The belt is a problem. It is shown in the vase (or kylix?) painting in a distinct way that is not totally equal in the modern reconstruction. I commit the belt together with the bulky feature of the "upper garment" could be an argument for the chiton theory. On the other hand, when I draw my chitons up to get a bulky appearance like that in the vase painting (necessary to move your legs unimpeded) the chitons bulk hides also the belt on my front which speaks against it being just a chiton.

I concur that different interpretations are possible and we should not be too dogmatic.

To the arming scene: which makes me a bit pendant is the fact that the guy who puts on his knemides and the guy who closes his composite cuirass seem to wear other upper garments than the others. At least the appearance of the arm hole hems for me looks different, in a slightly other colour and a bit more bulky and "wavy" than that of the others. And from one guy no cloth at all is seen at the arms although all are shown with exactly the same lower chitons. Again I would say that different interpretations are possible.

Perhaps I'm a bit biased. Living in a country with not the sunniest climate I like the idea to have at least a reference for fur vests or thick wooly garments (if they already are not interpreted as armour). :wink:
Wolfgang Zeiler

Messages In This Thread
Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-13-2007, 05:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weapons and armour of the greek marine spartacus-033 53 12,026 10-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr