Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armour against weapons or weather?
Quote:I also recommend against the whole concept of a poor warrior "just wanting to have SOME kind of armor", unless there is EVIDENCE that such men thought and acted that way. Sure, you find psiloi with a hide cloak over their arms to help ward off javelins and rocks, and modern writers will make all kinds of noise about some garment or other which might have offered rudimentary protection from something. But it seems clear to me that if a man could only afford a shield, that was considered perfectly adequate protection in combat! One of those vase paintings shows greaves as well, so he's even better off. Plenty of men went to war with no body armor, and didn't think anything of it. The shield protected. In most times and places, the men with real armor were very much the minority.

Thanks for posting this Matt, as I think it is something that people often forget to consider. When we look at evidence today, we often apply our own thinking to it and end up with conclusions based on our assumptions. We have this often with light troops, with thinking like "light troops wouldn't have gone into combat without shields/armour/a helmet," or "why would X kind of soldier wear Y kind of armour? Clearly Z kind of armour would be better suited," even when the evidence is oftentimes contradictory. I think we have to consider that we simply didn't think like these men did, or can't consider all the possible reasons why they would or wouldn't do something.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by MeinPanzer - 06-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-13-2007, 05:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weapons and armour of the greek marine spartacus-033 53 11,932 10-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr