Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swastikas, Roman Gear, modern reenactment (cont from market)
I think Celer has put his finger on it with "symbols have power".

Unfortunately, in Europe, the swastika symbol is not only associated with the historical Nazis but also with present day far right movements. This also seems to be the case in the USA with white supremacist groups. An example from San Bernardino, California in 2003 :-

"The task force has also seized more than 15,000 rounds of ammunition; more than 75 firearms, many of which had been illegally converted to fully automatic; a half-dozen stolen cars; bulletproof vests; a pharmacopeia of methamphetamine, hallucinogenic mushrooms, steroids and marijuana; and enough swastika flags, Hitler youth banners, knock-off SS daggers, WWII German army helmets, and white supremacist propaganda to fill a Dumpster.

"Sixty years after the discovery of Auschwitz, I'm amazed we're still fighting this garbage in our country," said San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department spokesman Tom Freeman. "

Unfortunately, as in the urls that Tarbicus posted, there seem to be (in UK) re-enactors of German WWII who also have far right links. Not all- I'd like to stress.

I seriously detest the Far Right- and therefore would never wear anything associated with it. There are so many Roman symbols- palms, vine leaves, phalli etc- that haven't been hijacked that its not as if I'm not spoilt for choice!

I wouldn't dictate to others what they should or shouldn't do- your call. But not for me in any circumstancs.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things

Messages In This Thread
The nazis and the swastika - by Celer - 05-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Re: Swastikas, Roman Gear, modern reenactment (cont from market) - by Caballo - 05-27-2007, 11:16 AM
sigh - by Caius Fabius - 05-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Re: sigh - by Tarbicus - 05-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Re: sigh - by Magnus - 05-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New "Roman" Abomination on the market jkaler48 3 1,259 08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Dithrambus
  New Releases of Roman Movies on the Market (VHS, DVD, etc.) Restitvtvs 1 1,154 10-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat