Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Deepeeka Balteus sword belt is best for my impression?
Salve,

Thanks for the buckle and plate suggestion!

Concerning the sash belt, are you speaking of the belt tied into an officer’s knot?

Concerning the baldric… I was under the impression that the baldric wasn’t used until sometime after 79AD and therefore would be incorrect for my impression’s time period.

On another post link from old RAT Sulla Felix said

Quote:The two belt rig seems to gradually go out of use/fashion from mid-first century AD, moving to a single belt with pugio and apron and a baldric (think this is the right term) for the gladius.

& Mathew Amt said
Quote:Other folks have mentioned that there isn't much evidence for the shoulder baldric in the mid-first century AD, only later. So we should lean more towards putting the gladius on the belt. Otherwise, yup, we pretty much go with what you said

Was your suggestion different becuase of a Tribune's impression vs. a Legionary impression and the statues we were examining in the pervious thread?

Obviously, a Tribune would not have gone into battle without a proper helmet or sword so, I guess I’m trying to figure out if he would have tossed on a narrow military plated belt and attached the sword directly to it or would an officer, say under Julius Caesar’s command at Battle of Alesia, have used a baldric?
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Which Deepeeka Balteus sword belt is best for my impression? - by AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 05-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Griffins? - by sophus_tree - 06-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Cool! - by sophus_tree - 06-21-2007, 10:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Sword Buttons for Belt Help? brennivs - tony drake 5 2,141 03-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  4th century: Sword belt or balteus? Hraban 6 2,934 05-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Balteus belt end? phaedrus 4 1,317 10-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS