Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussing Roman drill commands (NO HOLDS BARRED!!)
Perhaps i'm a bit offtopic but if we start to argument like that:

Quote:I think you need to show that the military spoke only perfect Latin, to disqualify the 'bad Latin' used in the source that we have.
without a view on the type of source

or that

Quote:Can you show me (...) that it was (...)not (...) used in the 1st c
we could get a problem in reconstruction generally.
I hope Robert, you don't feel harresed by that comments, that isn't my intention.
But we have to prove a use of something to rebuild something, otherwise we could wear Berkasovos in mid 1st also.
Pro. Stroh like Dr. Junkelmann knewn Maurice, and they decided not to use them or Arrian, and they had their reasons, but this would be the discussion already.

In my eyes this discussion cant be seperated from the sourcehandling, and dealing with the sources.

To know what kind of latin is used or brought over from a source, we'll have to look at the "who, where, when, for what..." and so on.
My two cent Smile
That there is a development in language (like the use of "pagani" and "civilians") is proofed and is readable in the oxford english dictionnary.
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de

Messages In This Thread
authors/sources - by QF VARUS - 05-22-2007, 09:45 PM
You did ask...about drill commands - by QF VARUS - 05-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Re: Discussing Roman drill commands (NO HOLDS BARRED!!) - by Tib. Gabinius - 05-25-2007, 10:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hoplite drill with ancient commands hoplite14gr 2 1,418 02-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Request for Assistance on Roman Drill project QF VARUS 11 3,147 05-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius
  Latin Drill Commands QF VARUS 35 11,350 05-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Magnus