Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thracian reenactors and/or replica arms and armour wanted
Quote:There is a tribe(some villages) in modern Thrace,near where I live,that matches the description of the ancient Thracians.Note that most Greeks are neither light haired nor grey eyed.These people are known as "Pomakoi" and were forced to become Muslims by the Turks.However,their current religion is a mix of Muslim and an unknown to us religion,they have their own customs and some of their God's names resemble the ancient Greek ones.Now,there are arguements that these people,who live in Northern mountenous Greek Thrace are actually Bulgarian tribes who were isolated and thus we know very little of them.But some researchers claim that their language(yes they have their own language)in not Bulgarian,or at least it does not originate in Bulgarian but it's an ancient thracian idiom.Only some years ago they were allowed to be tought their language in their own schools,with the Greek.Sadly,for many years we Greeks and owr governments considered these people Turkish,because of their supposedly Muslim religion.But if you ask them,they say they're not Turkish and actually thei dislike them more than we Greeks do.
It is not sure and there are counter arguements but these people are probably the last Thracian left.
Khairete
Giannis

Im thracian from my fathers side i dont know how far back that goes though , my mom is pontian but from my fathers side they are almost all light haired dont know about grey eyes but blue and green is common but my eyes are grey green anyhow they dont speak any thracian language except when they speak greek sometimes you dont understand their stupid fast talking thracian accent anyhow its more likely that i have some slav mix than beeing ancient thracian , btw im not pomak Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thracian reenactors and/or replica arms and armour wanted - by Josef - 05-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Ancient Greeks ever bless or cast spells on their arms and armour? Cletus_the_Black 0 652 06-03-2020, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Cletus_the_Black
  New Thracian armour discoveries sitalkes 4 2,223 01-20-2008, 03:52 AM
Last Post: sitalkes
  Announcement: "Early Arms and Armour through the Ages&a Jona Lendering 2 2,096 05-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering