Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm
Good thinking, Franklin.

Better to post it here for everyone. Smile

I purchased the embossed brass band from this website :
http://www.christmasforest.com/cat.taf? ... E146408023

It's just a Christmas wreath for your front door. I needed to buy two of them for my helmet. As you can see, they cost $20 (USD) each. The width is perfect - 1.25 inches.

Funny how I stumbled onto it. I was just browsing the web for something unrelated and saw it. Later I began to research Baldenheim spangenhelms and noticed the decorative brow bands they had (like this example). When I saw the photos I remembered that brass piece I bumped into earlier on the web weeks earlier.

Although the piece has a floral design like the original helmets it isn't perfect, of course. If you really scrutinize it it looks a bit modern, IMO. But considering the low cost I think it works very well.

As for the brass knob piece, you can easily find it by using Google. Click the "shopping" tab on top of the page, then type in "brass finial". Finials are decorative knobs that screw onto the top of lamps. You can choose from many different designs, sizes, and finishes. I choose the bullet-shaped one which only costs a couple of bucks.

But you can probably find many of these in your local lamp store. I would check there before ordering online. Who knows ?, you may find something better.

If anyone has questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Good luck.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
spangenhelmet - by garrelt - 05-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Re: spangenhelmet - by Marcus Mummius - 05-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Re: spangenhelmet - by Robert Vermaat - 05-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Re: Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm - by Theodosius the Great - 10-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Re: - by sidney - 04-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Re: Re: - by Medicus matt - 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm Marcus Mummius 0 916 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius