Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
questions about cavalry shoulder doublings
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear in that statement. I know the stele. It's featured in Goldsworthy's Complete Roman Army. The one's I'm trying to find source information on are the line drawing and the close up.

On a further note, I'm beginning to lean more and more on those depictions being accurate. I've been digging as much as I can through my meager library at home. In The Roman Cavalry (Dixon and Southern) when discussing methods of the opening in scale shirts to enable the soldiers to put them on (page 40), the rear and side openings are discussed, and then there is this:
Quote:The style of Lorica Squamata prevalent during the first and second centuries AD, appears to have been a thigh length shirt with two breast plates joined together on the chest, with short side slits in order to facilitate it being worn on horseback.
....followed by a reference to the same tombstone which is pictured on the opposite page.

Although I don't believe a single gravestone is hardly evidence of common practice, I've seen more than a few different pieces of these plates. I think I'm pretty much settled on putting together a squamata this way unless this thread turns up some good evidence to the contrary before I finish cutting and punching all the scales.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: questions about cavalry shoulder doublings - by Marcus Julius - 04-21-2007, 06:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Cavalry questions Aulus Perrinius 0 1,069 11-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Aulus Perrinius
  Cavalry questions LegioIIavg 5 2,148 10-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  Shoulder-doublings on muscled cuirass - metal or hide ? Theodosius the Great 28 5,020 06-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS