Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "destroyed Column of Theodosius"
Bad news, I'm afraid ! Floods and leaks in the basement, and mice and possums chewing their way into cardboard boxes in the attic,and making shredded nests of the contents, have taken their toll. All I have left are a couple of illustrations of some of the panels on one of the "lost" columns ( and I can't even determine which one! ).These were copies I made of some of Phil's references.
Fortunately, the sections in question include caparisoned horses.
I don't have the technology to post these, alas, and so shall have to confine myself to a description.
The drawings are Renaissance "cartoons", roughly similar in style to the drawings of Michelangelo or Raphael.
In one scene, the Emperor (holding sceptre), bare-headed and bearded, wearing a muscle cuirass with pteryges over the usual tunic, braccae,calf-length boots, and a large sagum/riding cloak rides a horse with scale caparison in the shape of #141 ( Armies and enemies, 1984,) fourth edition ). He is followed by an identical senior officer,also with scale caparison, except with scale 'muscle' corselet. A third senior officer, with scale 'muscle' corselet rides a caparisoned horse without scales, but a large shabraque, with semi circular scalloped cut- out dags ( c.f. modern Household cavalry shabraques).In aother scene, the Emperor ( again distinguished by his sceptre) is helmeted, and has a multi-layered set-up - criss-crossed caparison (quilted?) with a scalloped edge and tassels at the corners,on top of this a similar crenellated saddle-cloth, over this a scalloped plain saddle cover (sheepskin ?) over a mediaeval knight-type saddle!
The infantry wear muscled corselets with a semi-circular scalloped edge at hips and shoulders - some with ptreryges,some without. They wear braccae and tunics, but are bare-footed.They wear helmets of hellenistic/renaissance revival type with both erect and falling horsehair crests. They carry short spears, and oval shields - held with both horizontal and vertical straps,and short sword/daggers with circular pommels on the right hip.A few wear segmentata, similar in style to those on the Marcus Aurelius column. Many wear sagums ( but no paenulas ).Many, including the Emperor and officers, but not all, are bearded.
In another scene, cavalry equipped as for the infantry described above
ride caparisoned horses (with scalloped edges ), some have, in addition, scalloped shabraques ( sheepskin? ) with cutouts over the saddles.
#49 in Armies and enemies represents these cavalry, but with some interpretations. The Emperor's sceptre becomes a mace (not so!), the smooth 'muscled' corselet is interpreted as mail (quite likely - though in the case of the Emperor? ) and the short sword on the hip becomes a spatha on a baldric ( probable).
The only clues I have are that one scene is labelled "tav. 80" and all are captioned "disegno del Louvre", which should mean the original "cartoons"
are in the Louvre - requests to the Louvre regarding drawings/"cartoons" of the 'lost' columns of Theodosius, Galerius and Arcadius may lead you to a goldmine of information, despite the difficulties of interpreting Renaissance drawings of late Roman columns, which may themselves contain anachronisms from earlier columns ! !
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Column of Theodosius - by Paullus Scipio - 06-07-2007, 10:58 AM
The "Destroyed Column of Theodosius" - by Paullus Scipio - 06-08-2007, 12:14 AM