Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander the Great was antiquity\'s greatest commander
Quote:
Macedon:98nhsl5d Wrote:So, your point is to just discuss some arguments you do not agree with then, not to propose that someone else is more worthy of the title? Again, I disagree with many of your conclusions as you do with mine, but as regards the issue in question what is your opinion?

After a fashion, yes. I've never really seen the point in such comparisons as so many variables exist (shown in many posts above): it's a bit like comparing Kingston Town to Secretaiat (thoroughbreds) or different cricket elevens.

On the Philip / Alexander thing, Alexander certainly seemed to think he needed to outdo the "old man". The phalanx, in Babylon, also seemed to remember the old man with some affection: as they would considering the expansion of the landed population had taken them from serf to citizen.

I have to admit to a wry chuckle when watching the opening ceremony of the Athens' Olympics. As the heroic images of Alexander drifted accross the screen two things struck me: Demosthenes might have caused a quake rolling in his grave and that ithyphallic hymn to Demetrius. Athens is constant even 2300 years later!

Again, that's not a comment on modern politcs nor a judgement; it just tickled my eclectic sense of humour. My wife in no way understood...

By all means we could make a new thread and discuss all that. I just found myself very tempted to answer but without unacceptably digressing it appeared to me kind of impossible. As for Demostenes, I guess that he would be very happy to know that Athens managed to conquer Greece again... Big Grin
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
re - by Johnny Shumate - 04-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Re: - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Re: - by Thunder - 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Re: Alexander the Great was antiquity\'s greatest commander - by Macedon - 11-17-2010, 12:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient synagogue mosaic may depict Alexander the Great Steven James 3 2,551 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great foojer 10 5,165 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Who Killed Alexander the Great? D B Campbell 8 2,961 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Last Post: sitalkes