Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander the Great was antiquity\'s greatest commander
I don't agree that we should steer away from any such subject, and am well aware of the huge complexities of this issue - not least of course the modern problems that have been created because of it. I do take you points though.

Hellenic acceptance was critical to Philip, and Alexander also made good use of this for political ends. A pan-Hellenic enterprise against the ancient enemy to the east, really needed to be mainly composed of Greeks, led by Greeks, and in the interest of all the Greeks. However, it is my belief and one that can easily be argued and backed up, that Philip and Alexander totally deserved this acceptance. The Temenids/Argeads were Greek. The Makedonian population was not 100% Greek - but its core group was - certainly prior to its major expansion. By all standards, epithets and tests we can apply to any of the ancient Greek tribes, the Makedonians qualify - even if Demosthenes would have it differently (and thereby disgree with Herodotos!).

I am aware of strands of historic examination (Hammond included) that have sought to explore the Makedonian's 'otherness', but I don't think they really stand up to serious scrutiny. It would be just as easy to promote the differences of Dorian Spartans to Ionian Athenians and others as well. It is true that the ancients saw things differently - but by using their standards rather than our own we surely arrive at the same conclusion? Quite often you see references to Monty Python on this site. I have used it myself, and will again because there is something hugely Pythonesque about the Greek's internal strife and critiques of each other. Such a remark might not be so easily comprehendable to non-English speakers, but to those of us that occupy the Anglo-American-Australasian orbit - the remark holds true. The Life Of Brian quote "only the messiah would deny his own divinity" rings true here - as would the response ... 'well what chance does that leave me with?'
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
re - by Johnny Shumate - 04-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Re: - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Re: - by Thunder - 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Re: Alexander the Great was antiquity\'s greatest commander - by Ghostmojo - 11-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient synagogue mosaic may depict Alexander the Great Steven James 3 2,559 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great foojer 10 5,236 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Who Killed Alexander the Great? D B Campbell 8 2,975 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Last Post: sitalkes