Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation
Quote:They knew that to flee is more dangerous for soldiers than to remain in formation and fight or retreat orderly. How is this possible that they always fled? Moreover if all the Greeks were so painstakingly trying to support their comrades and not to look cowardly in the eyes of their fellow citizens, why was it important to have the special, brave rear rankers to prevent the escape of the (say) less brave men?

Good point -- I can't argue that one. However, one must admit that one reason that they would decided to flee instead of retreating in a close-order fashion is the fact that not very many Greek commanders knew how to utilize cavalry effectively. Hoplites, wearing that much bronze armor and such, can't move that fast so if one side were to flee (for whatever reason), it wouldn't be that dangerous, given that there wouldn't be a fast, mobile force bearing down on them. Obviously if some of these commanders maintained and kept a cavalry force then not only would they have the option for pursuing fleeing enemies, but that would also allow them to attack the flanks of the enemy formation, sending them to flight.

Honestly, I can't say to what reasons it was "acceptable" for Greeks to withdraw in combat. Being a shame culture, I would assume that if you broke ranks then you'd be seen as a coward, however, where that definition stops applying in a major route, I have no idea. I also think that the training (as it has been stated in previous posts) makes the difference. For Sparta, the fact that they were a professional army and you were 100% sure of the ability of the other soldiers in the phalanx, gave them an advantage in at least feeling secure in their formation when going into battle. Other city-states without professional hoplites, probably couldn't have enjoyed that security, making them more likely to flee. I guess it is really hard to include Sparta in this discussion because of their radical beliefs on valor in warfare -- it is still pretty interesting though.

All the Best!
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation - by Anonymous - 04-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Re: Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation - by TraderTrey9785 - 04-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Street fighting hoplites Jona Lendering 17 3,576 07-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Hoplites and Phalanx Combat Anonymous 2 3,544 12-26-2003, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Anonymous