Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation
Quote:The Macedonian style of holding the sarissa with both hands surely makes it impossible to be fully front on to the enemy? You have to turn at least the upper body sideways for the left hand to reach the sarissa to hold it, which brings the left shoulder forwards in front of the body to at least a 45 degree angle.

That's what I would have expected -- even with earlier hoplites and a shorter spear, it just makes sense. So the whole notion of the left half of your shield protecting the right side of the man on your left? Where does that fit in? If you turn your body sideways to brace for impact, obviously your entire body will be planted directly behind the middle of your hoplon. I disagree with the idea that hoplites engaged in single combat. But I wonder how the shields overlapped, and I think van Wees makes a good point in describing the phalanx formation based on individual stance.
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation - by TraderTrey9785 - 04-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Re: Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation - by Anonymous - 04-07-2007, 10:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Street fighting hoplites Jona Lendering 17 3,579 07-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Hoplites and Phalanx Combat Anonymous 2 3,544 12-26-2003, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Anonymous