Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation
Hmmmh,
I can see both sides of the argument...
If you have the aspis resting on the shoulder and stand sideways on, it is less tiring than holding the aspis in front.
There again, I presume we are talking highly trained men here..
Phillip II developed the Macedonian phalanx with the long sarissas, which operated differently to the Greek phalanx. The sarissa was used underarm and if used two handed, the aspis would need to be on the arm of the soldier.
This was not developed in Thucydide's time..
The classic Greek phalanx of his time used an overarm thrust and the aspis was held. The Spartan's aspis was important as it also protected others, not only himself...
I have never used a Sarissa in a phalanx....although I would like to...but to stand face on would seem awkward compared with a slightly sideways stance.
I would say that both are correct, depending on whether you are approaching, pushing or fighting in short weapon combat...
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Messages In This Thread
Re: Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation - by Arthes - 04-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Re: Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation - by Anonymous - 04-07-2007, 10:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Street fighting hoplites Jona Lendering 17 3,556 07-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Hoplites and Phalanx Combat Anonymous 2 3,530 12-26-2003, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Anonymous