Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what was the function of the Roman cavalry?
Sure, but that's exactly the debating point. One person anecdotally says X and another says Y. Just out of interest, were you in a Roman Military Saddle supposedly designed for use without Stirrups? I'm told that it makes quite a difference, but I have no practical experience.

Matthew wrote:

Matthew I can only give my experience and accounts of 15 years in teh saddle. My jumping saddles are very flat seated almost like racing pads so balance is very important in my game when you are jumping obstacles that are 1.60m H x 1.50m wide
(5ft HIGH x 4.8ft WIDE)

Stirrups allow me to keep my weight off the horse's back upon landing and offer support. In basic riding around an arena, no stirrups dont really offer any help and any good rider doesnt need them. BUT in the commotion of battle, those roman saddles woudl help but if a rider being dragged sideways, they would offer no help at all.

Unlike Roman saddles the rider was wedged in for that very reason, allowing teh rider to lock his knees under the horns and to offer the waste a bucket feeling.

STIRRUPS had not been invented yet.

just for comparison and you can pick which saddle you woudl rather ride in without stirrups? Here is a modern day jumping saddle...
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)

Messages In This Thread
Re: what was the function of the Roman cavalry? - by S AUFIDIUS - 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
overrunning - by Goffredo - 04-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Re: overrunning - by Robert Vermaat - 04-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Re: overrunning - by Aryaman2 - 04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Re: what was the function of the Roman cavalry? - by RUBICON - 04-04-2007, 08:37 PM