Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what was the function of the Roman cavalry?
Cinna,

In my own showjumping experience, my horses jump almost anything. Most showjumping fences are quite elaborate and I could even think of one or two that would be similar to a line of shields. As for movie horses, I have seen him train some in a few months others have taken longer depending on what was involved.

he is lucky that he can choose the horse for teh job, he recently completed a movie where teh horse runs through a fire wall...glad i wasnt riding! So anything is impossible.

We do some training with the police force, teh course is long and it is more to see which horses will cope as opposed to those who are not brave or too nervy!

the longest part is teh process in selecting teh right horses for the job, then teh training is straightforward as teh horse has teh basics,,,ie intelligence and bravery.

I would imagine this too would be the case for teh Romans, though would they have had the luxury of numbers to pick and choose.

Some horses are brave others arent but it wouldnt take long to train a horse to canter down and jump a line of shields.

My top horse would do it now if I lined up a series of them, to him its just another colourful fence. BUT if they suddenly moved as he came to them he woudl nearly have a heart attack. Horses are so governed by instinct, and in such a case, there immediate response woudl be to stop and flee....flight and flee instinct!

I guess the roman training camps would be for breaking in and training the horses to get used to close formation marching, the noise and clammer of the battlefields, formations etc. Calvary drills etc

Horses are amazing but even the experienced police/riot horses can react to the noise and excitement of certain situations. The smell of death woudl also have played a part..horses are very sensitive to death & pain, lest we forget they are living breathing animals too.
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)

Messages In This Thread
Re: what was the function of the Roman cavalry? - by S AUFIDIUS - 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
overrunning - by Goffredo - 04-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Re: overrunning - by Robert Vermaat - 04-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Re: overrunning - by Aryaman2 - 04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Re: what was the function of the Roman cavalry? - by RUBICON - 04-04-2007, 09:19 AM