Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what was the function of the Roman cavalry?
I don't think you have quite understood what people are saying, Juul (or maybe I am not - it's possible). As far as I understand it, what is being said is that:

Cavalry was extremely important to the Roman Army in just about all periods of warfare, so long as the ground was open enough to deploy them effectively.

They were used to scout, skirmish and protect the flanks of an army, as well as to defeat enemy cavalry and they were used to outflank, pursue and harass enemy infantry formations.

Legionary Roman Cavalry decreased in number and importance, but all that meant was that Auxillary Roman and Allied Cavalry increased in number and importance.

Their actual use in battle probably ranged from light support (shooting Arrows, throwing Javelins) to close support (thrusting or charging with spears, closing with swords).

If you are only interested in the function of Roman Legionary Cavalry, that may be a slightly different story, but it would not be wise to only look at that section of the Roman Army if you are looking at how Cavalry was used over the centuries.

[Edit]It is worth noting that in the past a more limited view of the Roman Legionary, Auxillary and Allied Cavalry was current, but that this view has largely been dispelled over the last twenty or thirty years. The introduction of the Stirrup and the Battle of Adrianople were often cited as watershed moments, but we are now inclined to see a more gradual and consistant view of Ancient and Medieval Cavalry Warfare (though, this is open to debate).

Matthew James Stanham
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one\'s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

Messages In This Thread
Re: what was the function of the Roman cavalry? - by S AUFIDIUS - 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Re: what was the function of the Roman cavalry? - by Matthew - 03-30-2007, 05:41 PM
overrunning - by Goffredo - 04-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Re: overrunning - by Robert Vermaat - 04-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Re: overrunning - by Aryaman2 - 04-02-2007, 06:22 PM