Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athenian Peltasts and Light Infantry
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their comments, and lively discussion. Felix, I think you sum up the Spartan ideology very accurately, and I think that your comments demonstrate the lack of change in the Spartan style of warfare, as it took them so long to place more emphasis on their navy and on raiding, rather than ravaging land. Additionally, their lack of development of a Spartan cavalry is also a good example of their reluctance to embrace more efficient tactics.

I was wondering if any members of RAT have anything to say regarding the changing nature of warfare that occurred in the Peloponnesian War? Obviously the mixed formations, the lack of emphasis placed on hoplite ideology, and the use of cavalry, are all aspects that emerged during the Peloponnesian War. Has anyone read anything, or come across a scholar who is dealing with this issue?

Obviously Alexander embraced both cavalry and infantry and used them together to achieve many victories (as did Philip). Were there any instances before both men that might shed light on the changing nature of Greek warfare? Anything would be great and I welcome any advice.

Thanks!
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Athenian Peltasts and Light Infantry - by TraderTrey9785 - 03-19-2007, 08:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About light troops psiloi & peltasts hoplite14gr 0 1,372 07-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Peltasts and armor Danielmeijers 2 1,319 07-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Macedon
  Peltasts and chariots at Cunaxa Sean Manning 26 5,646 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Last Post: koechlyruestow