Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A strange silver mask from the Thorsberg bog
Quote:A helmet based on this one was worn by Henry Wilcoxon in the film "The Warlord," in the first fight with Charlton Heston. the same helmet was worn again, as a gladiator helmet, in the "Created Equal" episode of the time-travel series "Voyagers!" in 1982. It showed up again in the first "Highlander" movie, worn by a guy in the background on the bridge at Eilean Donan castle. Do I know my movie armor trivia or what?

Quote:This particular helmet was described in:

Garbsch, J., (1978), "Römische Paraderüstungen" p.72 , O.57 & Taf.25.4

However, it was not shown with the 'hair net' in this particular publication. While the helmet itself belongs to Robinson's "Cavalry Sports, Type F" the addition of the nair net appears to be a unique feature. There are at least five other helmets known that belong to this group, although with the exception of the one from Pfrondorf (Baden-Württemberg), found in 1868, none are as complete as this one.

It is not surprising that this particular helmet turned up in the movies as it was used in several turn of the 19th 20th century archaeological reconstruction paintings of early Germanic warriors. Hollywood does sometimes do accurate research.

In fact the 'hair net' is not unique. I have just done a reconstruction myself of someone wearing one of these helmets for my latest publication and one of the sources was an ancient fresco painting. All will be revealed soon.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Helmet - by Graham Sumner - 02-25-2007, 01:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thorsberg tunic Tim Edwards 3 3,333 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Ingvar Sigurdson
  More pics of Thorsberg finds: Auxiliary H, umbo & belt Cornelius Quintus 7 3,249 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS