Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiator questions
The Laquerius:

Was it similar to the retiarius only with spear and rope?
Or just the rope and nothing more.

Very little is known. So little it is not possible to know anything other than he may have made use of a rope to capture his foe.

The Bustuarii:

I know nothing about this one except they fought around a dead person, could you please tell me his equipment.

These were the original funiary gladaitors who fought at or shorly after a funeral in honour of the dead. I woul;d guess at Samnite type armour if I was pushed on it.

The Velite

Also another i dont know much about except he used a spear could you be more specific.

I can't as again it is based on very little onformation. Som eof these Gladiator types may have been mentioned in passing only once in someones letters which were not specifically be about teh arena.

The Crupellarius

The only historical image I have of this one is a picture of a statue wearing full body armor, helmet and no sort of weaponry. But here he is depicted with round shield and sword.
I've read somewhere that he was good at taking blows but lousy at inflicting them. So it seems to me that he would have no weapons, kind of a modern battle tank but with no ammo. Is there any evidence of what is weapons(if any) were?

I have my doubts about this one as its sole mention relates to a battle between Roman military and Celtic/Gallic warriors who were dressed as a gladiator type from their region. It reeks of later tales about Medielval Knights being unable to get on a horse without a winch as their armour was soooo heavy. I have seen a fully armoured re-enactor do a cartwheelConfusedhock:

The statue you mention cannot be definatly identified as a crupellarius, conversly no one can say its not one :?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda

Messages In This Thread
Gladiator questions - by Lusitano - 02-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Re: Gladiator questions - by Conal - 02-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Re: Gladiator questions - by Lusitano - 02-13-2007, 03:42 AM
Re: Gladiator questions - by Martin Moser - 02-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Re: Gladiator questions - by Conal - 02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Re: Gladiator questions - by Lusitano - 02-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Re: Gladiator questions - by Conal - 02-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Re: Gladiator questions - by Lusitano - 02-13-2007, 03:19 PM