Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The travels of the Praetorian Guard
Alexandr..I still think you are right in certain cases..I have found other references that do infer that some of the praetorians were left behind.

As such, I have developed a theory. Perhaps if everything were on the line for an emperor, like in in the case of Otho and Vitellius, where the victor will be emperor and the loser will be dead...perhaps it was best to take all of the praetorians with you. Why leave anyone behind? And, perhaps against a foreign enemy, you may not have needed to take all of the cohorts. Leave some behind to look after your interests in Rome. I plan on digging into this further...a weekend project perhaps!

Regarding leaving one Prefect at home. I am fairly confident this too varied from emperor to emperor and campaign to campaign. Again to use my Otho example (not to say that what he did, they all did). Again in Tacitus, Book II, there are passages where both of his prefectsTonguelotius Firmus and Licinius Proculus are both in the field. I'll continue to explore this as well.

-Severus

Messages In This Thread
Re: The travels of the Praetorian Guard - by Publius Nonius Severus - 02-08-2007, 09:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mustaches in the praetorian guard 1493541 17 6,919 03-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  Praetorian Guard Questions antiochus 19 6,397 05-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Last Post: markhebb
  Does Praetorian Guard play a role on battlefield? Mrbsct 60 12,722 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell