Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiatorial marble reliefs recovered
I'm not very fluent in italian but from the parts i can read they are describing the equipment of the gladiators depicted in the reliefs.

In the tittle it says that Arsdimicadi explains the misterous gladiatorial categories

(First Part images 1 to 4)
They say the equipment its characteristic of the gladiators of that period.
The equipment isnt very different from the later gladiators except for the helmets wich later were closed and the "brachialia" wich was replaced by the manica.

It seems there are three types of gladiators depicted in the reliefs. The galli and the ones that will be knownby the categorie of parmulari and scutari a.k.a thacian and murmillo

In the images 1-2 the kneeling gladiator is a thracian that uses a rounded shield wich "Plinio" describes has one of two typologies of parmulari.
Its seem that Arsdimicandi started using a type of Thracian called Aequimanus that mean ambidexter or "Thracian A" because it uses in one hand the sica and in the other a short spear

(It seem that in this picture they assume its the Aequimanus in the left and a thracian in the right
http://www.arsdimicandi.net/ad_1_i000948.gif )

The usual oponent for the Thracian A is the murmillo or the greek version the hoplomachus

('im confused Confusedhock: with the last part)

In picture 3-4 there are 2 Galli fighting that in the imperial age were renamed probably essedari.
Their equipment tends do be like the provocator.
A sistematic characteristic of this categorie is "ovaloid" shield visible in image 3

This pair fought each other with a spatha (sole example of gladiators fighting with a longer sword)

The galli used ocreas (parastinchi) later substitued by simple fascae tibales (fasce tibiali) and an helm without "falde"(sorry dont know what that is)

Images 5 and 6 depict a fight "ad digitum" beetween a thracian and a murmillo.
The Thracian in on the floor with is finger raised and the curved sica (sica supina) is on the floor next to him.
The thracian fought generally against murmillos and very rarely against other thracians.

Has i said my italian isnt very good so dont take my words for it, perhaps someone can translate it better.

From the links to the italian ministry of cultural activities it seems they consider it has the real deal, not a fake

Messages In This Thread
Laudes to Italian Police - by richard - 01-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Re: Gladiatorial marble reliefs recovered - by Lusitano - 04-24-2007, 12:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Times today- 12 Gladiator reliefs from 1st C BC recovered Caballo 8 3,470 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS