Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inclined plane fasteners in ancient times
incline plane fasteners commonly known today as the screw was a discussion i recently had with a buddy.
my friend wanted to know why all my gear was either riveted , nailed , lashed , or pegged.
i explained that these attachment methods were the standards for the time , 5BC-2ad and were used because of reliability, strength and being a simple way for the legionary to make and repair his equipment.
well, my friend comes along and tells me the Greeks invented the screw in 5 BC and the Romans were using it in 1 BC in wine and laundry presses.
also that the Romans made wood screws fabricated either by hand filing the thread into a tapered shaft or wrapping a wire around a tapered shaft ad soldering the wire onto the shaft. he also stated that it seems the knowledge of the screw as a fastener was lost with lots of other information when the empire fell.
can't anyone comment on this?
if he's right then i guess the wood screw would be appropriate for use as a fastener?
thanks,
secunde

Messages In This Thread
inclined plane fasteners in ancient times - by hoke - 12-13-2006, 08:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PTSD in ancient times - new evidence? ParthianBow 11 2,825 01-28-2015, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Vindex