Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
naming problem - experts needed
Hi,

Although rather rare, Quintus has been found as a cognomen, even for soldiers. Here are a few examples from Legio III Augusta stationed in Lambaesis in Africa:

CIL VIII 2918 and 2919: C. Iulius Quintus, a custos armorum of Legio III Augusta setting up tombstones for his six year old son Felix (2918) and for his wife Herennia Fortunata (2919). These tombstones were dated to the second or early third century AD.

AE 1978, 886 (= IL Af 27): an inscription mentioning a list of names of a detachment of Legio III Augusta (vexilarii) including a soldier named Annius Quintus. This inscription is dated between 198 and 211 AD.

If you want to know more about Latin cognomina used by the Romans, check out I. Kajanto, The Latin Cognomina (1982).

So Cornelius Quintus is quite possible for a Roman name (nomen gentilicium with a cognomen). There's a tendency to omit the praenomen in the Roman name from the (second half of the) second century onwards. I don't know if this fits your desired time frame for re-enactment purposes.

Or like is already suggested: ask to have your login name changed into Quintus Cornelius. Probably a lot more recognisable as a Roman name for everyone.

Greets,

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma

Messages In This Thread
Re: naming problem - experts needed - by Uwe Bahr - 01-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Re: naming problem - experts needed - by hansvl - 01-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Re: naming problem - experts needed - by hansvl - 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM