Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
naming problem - experts needed
Salve Mi Quinte!

Unfortunately I haven't had much luck rationalizing "Cornelius Quintus" as a Praemomen-Nomen, Nomen-Cognomen, Praenomen-Cognomen, or Cognomen-Agnomen combination.

The closest I could come would be a Cornelius Quintilus or Cornelius Quintilianus (Cornelius being the Nomen and both Quintillus and Quintilianus being well recognized roman cognomen (and nomen for that matter)) - Although there were no recorded branches of the Gens Cornelia by either of those cognomen it is still entirely possible there could have been).

If we could find evidence of the use of Quintus as cognomen we would be on firmer ground. I suspect it was never used because of how commonplace Quintus was as a praenomen (and was not used to avoid confusion). Even if a it were used it probably would have been made a dimiunituve (Quintulus) or as an adopted cognomen affix (Quintanus)

For my sources I used Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology as well as consulting various lists of recoded Consuls and other magistrates.

But don't lose heart...in the end a person is defined by one's words and actions, not by one's name!

-Severus

Messages In This Thread
Re: naming problem - experts needed - by Publius Nonius Severus - 01-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Re: naming problem - experts needed - by Uwe Bahr - 01-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Re: naming problem - experts needed - by hansvl - 01-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Re: naming problem - experts needed - by hansvl - 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM