Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help with Latin translation
Hi Jasper,<br>
<br>
yes, You recognized the man correctly, I took his paper cutout to get a visual impression. Therefor I used Your wonderful Imagebase and searched for men in full figure style. A great help! There were some candidates whose appearance pleased me: Annaius Daverzus, Firmus, P. Flavoleius Cordus, Q. Petilius Secundus.<br>
<br>
I would have preferred to have an original stone of a soldier coming from Vetera and from one of the lost legiones XVI - XIX, that I could reconstruct like Caelius' one, but sadly the latter's stone is the only known so far.<br>
<br>
So I intend to recreate a neutral stone, a mixture of the four named above; perhaps it is allowed to use the name of M. Aius for it, whose name was found on the hook of a lorica hamata at Kalkriese (officially the spot of Varus' defeat, although I know the discussions on this forum and elsewhere). But at least this man seems to have been temporally and spatially very close to the events. What do You (or others) think?<br>
<br>
Greets - Uwe <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uwebahr>Uwe Bahr</A> at: 11/29/04 11:18 am<br></i>
Greets - Uwe

Messages In This Thread
Infantry man\'s grave stone - by Uwe Bahr - 11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Re: Rapaces signa inferunt - Vetera, 14 CE - by Anonymous - 12-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Small scale - by Tarbicus - 01-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Re: Small scale - by Uwe Bahr - 01-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Re: Small scale - by Tarbicus - 01-27-2005, 02:48 AM
Wow! - by Caius Fabius - 05-09-2005, 08:16 PM