Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman coin hoard found from Cuijk, The Netherlands
Hi Johan,

Very good of you to call in! Yes, this hoard was pleasant news, even more so when I found out it had even been spread to Finnish radio, which I must say I had not expected at all.

I did the translation of the message and true, I left out the lightning bit. The reason for that exclusion was the speculative nature – I felt too much was made of it. Lightning strikes are extremely common, and the remains were invisible, buried as they were underground (and apparently undisturbed) – every connection that could have existed between the hoard and these remains would have needed a big leap of faith to postulate something visible above ground, now completely lost. But if such a natural phenomenon would generate an offering, I would like to see more than one present at the site before making that jump to religious cause for the burial.

Because to me, when I saw that vessel, it looked like a safe deposit box – someone’s wealth neatly tucked away in pouches, buried deep in the sand. I can’t even speculate if the person who buried it was the rightful owner or not, we only know it was never recovered. And when we look at the times suggested by the coins, it was no period of peace and stability, hoards are very common in this period.

I love this speculating about what was the cause of some event apparently so very personal, religion or danger. But there is no way to be certain.

Nevertheless, you are right to ask if any such finds are known (not to me but then I’m no expert), and I was perhaps too hasty in omitting that information.
Good for you.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman coin hoard found from Cuijk, The Netherlands - by Johan Claeys - 11-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Re: Roman coin hoard found from Cuijk, The Netherlands - by Robert Vermaat - 11-24-2006, 07:27 AM
Cuyk - by Primitivus - 11-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large \"barbarian hoard\" found near Germersheim(D)? Simplex 23 5,481 10-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Roman ships from Utrecht, The Netherlands Robert Vermaat 1 2,263 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Late Roman Fortifications in the Netherlands SMC2 15 4,136 06-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Last Post: SMC2