Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Celtic warrior impression
Quote:Mercenary for the Diadochs:

[Image: Fr%C3%B6g%202009%20451.jpg]

[url:qreqx05f]http://picasaweb.google.com/GentesDanubii/2InternationalesKeltentreffenFrog#5357889863578660386[/url]

very good impressions Stephan & Renger
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
As I already told you nex week at Froeg, really wonderful panoply m'friend!
Gioal Canestrelli "Caturix"

- www.evropantiqva.org -
As always, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure vitrium is a color, not a substance. It's a bluish green color like certain kinds of glass. Old Coca Cola bottles in the US are close to that color, as are some wine bottles. At any rate, we don't know that they actually tattooed that color, or painted it, or whatever. Some tribes used tattooes, but not as complex in coloration and details as modern tattoos often tend to be.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
As far as i know, copper-based diyes have been found on the Lindow Man...
Gioal Canestrelli "Caturix"

- www.evropantiqva.org -
Quote:Lindow Man
Various bog bodies have tattoos, and Utzi the Ice Man was tattooed, so it's not a rare practice. Copper ores have a green or blue-green color. Copper in contact with skin will make a long-lasting greenish stain on the skin.

And vitrium (the glass color) is very like copper ore stain's color. Does that prove the "Celts" used copper dye for tattoos or body paint? No. But it at least opens the possibility. Somehow, some time, people began to believe that woad was used for tattoo ink, which it wasn't, according to those who have tried it. Bad ink. Skin infections. Lotsa pain. Good fabric dye, bad body paint.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Various bog bodies have tattoos, and Utzi the Ice Man was tattooed, so it's not a rare practice. Copper ores have a green or blue-green color. Copper in contact with skin will make a long-lasting greenish stain on the skin.

Do you have any sources for this? I'm familiar with Utzi's tatoos (they apparently were on his back in areas associated with acupuncture areas) but I've never heard of other bog bodies with tatoos/paintings. I'd love to get some more details on this; particularly what patterns they may have been in.
[Image: dirttagline.jpg]
Gobae - The Blacksmith
aka Dan Crowther
Ancient Celtic Clans
Re: Living History Blog
I'm away from home right now, so no, nothing here for refs. I can't remember the name of the fellow whose cap is the source for all sorts of caps, but I am pretty sure he had tattoos or some kind of body marks. I'll check when I get back home in a day or two, and if I can't find the ref, then I retract the statement as erronious.

Pause....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Pictures from the Archeon Roman festival...

[Image: archeon200901.jpg]
The standard and my companions

[Image: archeon200907.jpg]
La Tene I impression

[Image: archeon200906.jpg]
A mixed Celtic German photo session.

For more pictures see[url:12zecapt]http://www.kelticos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=882[/url]
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Love those celtic impressions, Folkert!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Love those celtic impressions, Folkert!

Ditto La Tene 1 now my new desktop background Cheers 8)
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Nice Pics. Only to much of this "scottisch" checkered fabrics for my favour.

Funny to see how "Oppa" and his guys took your helmet. :mrgreen:

Question: Is there an evidence for this beltpouch and the dagger (especially in Latene D)?

lg Stephan
Stephan Eitler
WAR CHUNNI ( http://www.awaren.net )
et
ERGASTERION BOSPOROU ( https://www.facebook.com/GensDanubiusEtP...us?fref=ts )
et
HETAIROI ( www.hetairoi.de )
Yes, Oppa rules!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
Regarding 'Celtic' Tattoing I’m not certain what medium was applied by the Ancient Britons, or if in truth the markings described are semi-permanent or permanent adornment. Later Roman sources give a description of tattoo techniques. ‘The oldest known description of tattoo techniques together with a formula for tattoo ink, is found in Medicae artis principes by the sixth century Roman physician, Aetius. He writes:
Stigmates are the marks that are made on the face and other parts of the body. We see such marks on the hands of soldiers. To perform the operation they use ink made according to this formula:
Egyptian pine wood (acacia) and especially the bark, one pound; corroded bronze, two ounces; gall, two ounces; vitriol, one ounce. Mix well and sift.
Grind the corroded bronze with vinegar and mix it with the other ingredients to make a powder. Soak the powder in two parts of water and one part of leek juice and mix thoroughly.
First wash the place to be tattooed with leek juice and then prick in the design with pointed needles until blood is drawn. Then rub in the ink’
Suffice to say that tattooing was well known in the Ancient World and Early Medieval Period at various times by various cultures. These could be quite complex as these images of as some ‘mummies’ from high status Altaic ‘Scythian’ burials indicate.
http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/tattoo_m ... ttoos.html
I have an old poster from a local museum exhibit concerning the chariot burials in Yorkshire, and the poster has a wonderful painting of a Parisi couple, the male having beautiful tattoos in the insular British La Tene style. I like to thing that this is how the tribes described by Caesar would have looked, and not the modern style of ‘Tribal Tattoos” with later ribbon interlace and knotwork often described as ‘Celtic’.

Dave Huggins
Ingvar Sigurdson
Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas
Quote:Question: Is there an evidence for this beltpouch and the dagger (especially in Latene D)?

lg Stephan

Of the beltpouch I must say is that there's no evidence, just something confinient to carry my stuff.
The dagger is a reproduction of a brittish find from the river Witham. I do belief or remember it's late La Tene III (D)
I made the scabbard up from the drawing of the original one wich is made of bronse...
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Quote: M. Demetrius wrote:Various bog bodies have tattoos, and Utzi the Ice Man was tattooed, so it's not a rare practice. Copper ores have a green or blue-green color. Copper in contact with skin will make a long-lasting greenish stain on the skin.

Do you have any sources for this? I'm familiar with Utzi's tatoos (they apparently were on his back in areas associated with acupuncture areas) but I've never heard of other bog bodies with tatoos/paintings. I'd love to get some more details on this; particularly what patterns they may have been in.
Well, after some searching, I can't find either the article I once had (computer crash) or the book I read on bog bodies and other "natural" mummies to substantiate the previous statement. I respectfully withdraw the it, and thanks for the reality check.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression Alanus 108 125,918 07-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Sooqa
  Show here your Germanic warrior impression ghandi 239 190,564 04-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Ariovistvs
  Show here your Thracian warrior impression Dain II. 22 32,616 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS