Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Celtic warrior impression
Quote:I think it was gennerally as a show of bravery, in the respect that "I don't need armour, i'll chop your head off anyway" or that sort of thing.
Oh yes! The silliest explanation to the question of fighting naked is that ...in this way the fabric of the dirty clothes don`t penetrate into the possible wounds thus reducing the risk of inflammation! RUHAHHAH!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
:lol:
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Salvete,
I believe that reenactor "naked" are "Gaesato" and fought naked armed only with sword , sospensoria chain and shield.I believe also that they were covered of chalk. That the "Gaesum" or "Soliferrum" derived from their name.
Vale
[Image: fianna.jpg]
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
They could have also said: -"Look at the size of my balls!!"-
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
I see...

Were they that brave in winter as well? I hear some things tend to shrink in the cold Tongue P P
-Pearl Sachiko R.

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth" - Charles A. Dana.
Lol, I presume so, I suppose the "heat of battle" would have kept them warm Big Grin

@ Vincenzo: I've also heard of them being called Gaesati.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus

(Polybius' description of the Battle of Telamon, 225BC)
"The Insubres and the Boil wore their trousers and light cloaks, but the Gaesatae had discarded their garments owing to their proud confidence in themselves... At first the battle was confined to the hill... In this action Galas the Consul fell in the melee fighting with desperate courage, and his head was brought to the Celtic kings... All [the naked Gaesatae] in the leading companies [were] richly adorned with gold torcs and armlets. The sight of them indeed dismayed the Romans, but at the same time the prospect of winning such spoils made them twice as keen for the fight... [Later in the battle,] reduced to the utmost distress... some of [the Gaesatae] in their impotent rage, rushed wildly on the enemy and sacrificed their lives, while others, retreating step by step on the ranks of their comrades, threw them into disorder by their display of faint- heartedness."
Gaesatae lit."spearmen" derive their name from the gaelic word for spear - gae
They seem to have been some sort of warrior guild or society, outside the normal tribal hierarchy, and are sometimes described as 'mercenaries'.
They came across the Alps to aid their fellow celts in Cisalpine Gaul (northern Italy) against the Romans, and fought with the Boii and Insubres tribes who fought in trousers, bare chested, whilst the Gaesatae stripped naked, either out of bravado on a hot day, or for religio-magical reasons - 'purity/nakedness' perhaps invoking divine protection.
They suffered badly in the defeat, and disappear from history.
Whilst interesting, they are hardly typical of Celtic warriors!
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I would think a well placed studded Roman boot would do the job Confusedhock:
Arrowmaker
FRED TIBBETTS
E-MAIL [email protected]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk">www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk
Trader and maker of traditional archery products am looking to expand my knowledge.
Fred
*winces*
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus

I hope they didn't run into any nettles, it'd take a lot of dock leaves to take the sting away Confusedhock:
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
P.S. Does anyone know the significance of covering themselves with chalk ? Was it just religious/ ceremonial or to stop heat exhaustion/ sunstroke due to them being naked ?
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:P.S. Does anyone know the significance of covering themselves with chalk ? Was it just religious/ ceremonial or to stop heat exhaustion/ sunstroke due to them being naked ?

I don't have any clue about the things you mentioned, but it would be possible that, even if not intended, the chalk would have absorbed blood from the (probably numerous) cuts and maybe even helped clot the blood faster, hence allowing them to continue fighting with sustained wounds.
"Marcus Hortensius Castus"
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
probably to look more " scary" or something like that.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:probably to look more " scary" or something like that.
How can you take a man serious with his dangley bits :roll: :roll: showing Confusedhock: :twisted: Confusedhock:
Fred ( arrowmaker)
FRED TIBBETTS
E-MAIL [email protected]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk">www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk
Trader and maker of traditional archery products am looking to expand my knowledge.
Fred
some pics from the keltenfest schwarzenbach

members.kabsi.at/scarlett/Schwarzenbach/

with romans from the legXIII

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression Alanus 108 124,890 07-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Sooqa
  Show here your Germanic warrior impression ghandi 239 189,094 04-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Ariovistvs
  Show here your Thracian warrior impression Dain II. 22 32,336 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS