Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An open invitation from the Batavians!
MMMM. Twenty Romans against one underaged Celt, that hardly seems fair odds! He also seems to be winning! Big Grin

Did he fall into the magic potion when he was a baby in which case I know whose helmet he will be after for his collection, that officer type on his knees! Big Grin
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thanks for the advice Graham!

Most groups that we currently work with use the same drill commands as us, so it hasn't proved to be an issue (So far!) :wink:

Also, A warm welcome to COH VIIII BATAVORVM M EQ!!

LEG VIII in Ireland have adopted this unit of Batavians as their chosen attachment. Look forward to seeing you Martin et al!
Excellent! I have the Vindolanda leather books showing some of the specific COH VIIII BAT stamps (eg COHIXB)- let me know if I can help. You have a rich field of sources for weapons, leather and textiles with Vindolanda!

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Hurray!!!

Wow now it´s getting hard do keep track.

We have the COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF england, and US
COH III BAT here, the Desert raider, and now The 9:th in Ireland. Have I missed someone?
Adrian wrote:
Quote:Most groups that we currently work with use the same drill commands as us, so it hasn't proved to be an issue (So far!)

How many different versions are there for Ad Signa! or 'turn left' or 'turn right'! :wink: I did not even give my commands in a strong regional accent which can sometimes cause confusion or like the time when the Dutch Centurio forgot the command to stop and the testudo crashed into a car! Big Grin

Robert wrote:
Quote:Last year at the LRE II at Archeon I had the pleasure to do my first commanding of a unit of c. 20 men, comprised of 5 to 6 groups..
Maybe Robert is right and late Romans are better quality after all or there drill is simple! What do you think Adrian :wink:
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Caballo wrote
Quote:Excellent! I have the Vindolanda leather books showing some of the specific COH VIIII BAT stamps (eg COHIXB)- let me know if I can help

All this material has been sent to Martin today. Cheers though!

Graham Wrote..
Quote:like the time when the Dutch Centurio forgot the command to stop and the testudo crashed into a car!

Now that is definately something I would have loved to have seen! :lol:

Quote:Maybe Robert is right and late Romans are better quality after all or there drill is simple! What do you think Adrian
Graham.

Maybe their drill manual is learned verbatim from Maurices' Strategikon? as first Century guys, we have to make it all up in schoolboy Latin!
"the Dutch Centurio forgot the command to stop and the testudo crashed into a car! "

My money would be on your testudo winning!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Barry wrote...
Quote:PM sent Peronis

Desert Rat

PM received and a bucketful of .pdf files is on it's way!
Is it known which auxilia units operated together with Legio XI CPF in the 1st century AD?

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I've been thinking about this since I saw the first post earlier in the week.
I guess since my Centurio has taken the leap to include a Batavian cohort I should ask a few questions of my own. I looked at your web-site to get an idea what the kit would include and what was different from the legionary kit. Could you please give me a little info? I suppose hamata and a clepius would be a start. Any other details? Will I have to buy yet another helmet?
Thanks
(Sorry if I missed the answers already.)
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
If there is no known auxiliary unit that's linked to Legio XI. We might go for a Batavian cohort too. We have some people interested in doing an auxiliary impression and working on a kit but haven't settled on a unit yet.

I don't think you'll have to buy another helmet Andy :wink: Of course I don't know which one you have:-)

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Jef,
I believe the XI legion was one that was sent to put down the Batavian revolt but don't know if they had auxilliaries. Still, apparently the XI in Georgia will have a Batavian aux. contingent.
(my current helmet is a Galli-G).
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Gallic helmet types are fine Andy! we have evidence to suggest that auxiliary soldiers wore them too.

Send me your email details in a PM Andy and I'll get the info off to you. Big Grin

With regard to the XI.. They were indeed sent to assist in putting down the revolt..

The expeditionary force consisted of the victorious VIII Augusta, the XI Claudia pia fidelis and XIII Gemina, the
XXI Rapax (which had been one of those supporting Vitellius), and, of the recently recruited legions, the II Adiutrix.
These were led across the Alps by the Great St Bernard and Mont Genevre passes, though part of the army took the
Little St Bernard. The XIIII Gemina was summoned from Britain, and the VI Victrix and I Adiutrix from Spain.

Tacitus, Histories 4.68;
What an avalange!

We have to call rename Peroni to Civilis...
I know they were among the troops that made an end to the revolt. Therefore I don't think they would have batavian cohorts assisting them. Not for a few years after the revolt, at least Smile

I also think it wouldn't be very likely they used legions that were somewhat linked to the batavians to extinguish their revolt...

Perhaps better to look for another auxilia cohort for our Legio XI.

I like the batavians though! 8)
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be