Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but
Quote:NO LEATHER BS ANYMORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M.VIB.M.

Someone rattle your cage? :lol:

I find it sad that the one medium to expand education in the 20/21st cent is deemed so unreliable! But then, when I read the newspaper reports on the oil industry in Aberdeen, and see the BS that they write, when they are in the center of the industry, it becomes more understandable!

everyone has an agenda, it appears!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
my agenda is: to stop people from instigating Romans wore leather armour.

nothing more nothing less.......

it was NOT worn, and thats the end of it.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Salve,

I’d like to concentrate on accuracy; not necessarily what the armor is made of but accuracy in appearance.

Why is it that recreation distributors and suppliers cannot make an accurate cuirass?

For example, this piece is made from plastic and is intended to be a simple costume HOWEVER (did you notice the really big “howeverâ€
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Quote:Why can’t we get something like this, just not made from plastic with a less cartoonish design, in brass?

Ahh !!

Actually, you can buy this in metal. Terry Nix makes it.

If you've thoughly read Travis Clark's website you'd know that the musculata should have "love handles".

And the shoulders are just molded onto the armor Confusedhock: They should be plates riveted onto the cuirass or leather that's tied down with laces.

I'd stear clear of anything looking like this plastic armor.

~Theo
Jaime
Check these out as well.

http://www.art-connection.de/pages/roemer.html
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Overly
Quote:Actually, you can buy this in metal. Terry Nix makes it.

Theo yes.... Terry Nix has wonderful attic helmets as well but I can't afford them. Sad

I had mentioned that cuirasses in the $60 to $200 range just don't look right... I was able to find highly accurate examples but the price range jumps to $1000 to $1500.

It's almost as if the makers of steel and brass cuirasses ($60 to $200 range) went out of their way to make them inaccurate.

But the maker of this cheap plastic costume piece looks like he did some research!

Tarbicus, that Augustus Prima piece looks radcially awesome but, too... it's way outside my budget. Sad
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Quote:Check these out as well.

http://www.art-connection.de/pages/roemer.html

I've never looked into these as it isn't an impression I want to do but these look pretty good to me, if basic, and are in the 400 - 500 Euro range.

www.art-connection.de/pages/roemer-brustpanzer-rp101.html
www.art-connection.de/pages/roemer-brustpanzer-rp201.html
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Quote:my agenda is: to stop people from instigating Romans wore leather armour.

nothing more nothing less.......

it was NOT worn, and thats the end of it.

Oh, dear, what are you going to tell the Roman author who wrote that hide armor is useless in the rain? Or the guy who made the rawhide lamellar piece found at Dura Europas? You may be too late!

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly a "leatherite"! But the evidence for its existence IS there.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
This looks vaugely familiar to a site in Germany from which I tried to do business a while ago, before buying from Terry Nix. Never got a response from them.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Salve Tony,

Thanks for the links, and you are correct, those look really good however; 450 EUR is equal to $603.961 USD.

That's just a 'wee bit' too much for me to spend.

I guess, in the end, that's why I tried to fabricate one, I think it came out pretty well. My next step is to fabricate the gryphons, a candelabra, and I was thinking of Lupa with Romulus and Remus ... I have it in my head how to do it... I just have to turn that into reality.
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Quote:Salve Tony,

Thanks for the links, and you are correct, those look really good however; 450 EUR is equal to $603.961 USD.

That's just a 'wee bit' too much for me to spend.

I guess, in the end, that's why I tried to fabricate one, I think it came out pretty well. My next step is to fabricate the gryphons, a candelabra, and I was thinking of Lupa with Romulus and Remus ... I have it in my head how to do it... I just have to turn that into reality.

Also, important to take into account: a breastplate costs 510 and the backplate another 490euro! So about 1000euro in total :?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Salve,

Why is it that recreation distributors and suppliers cannot make an accurate cuirass?

Why can’t we get something like this, just not made from plastic with a less cartoonish design, in brass?

Wish I knew! Seems to be more and more demand for them too! If there was a reasonably priced one I'd get it! Has a lot of flexibility in terms of roles and era too.

Legion: TBD
Quote:
AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs:3b4a0fey Wrote:Also, important to take into account: a breastplate costs 510 and the backplate another 490euro! So about 1000euro in total :?

Ouch! I didn't realize they were separate. That's a bit steep.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Quote: Oh, dear, what are you going to tell the Roman author who wrote that hide armor is useless in the rain? Or the guy who made the rawhide lamellar piece found at Dura Europas? You may be too late!

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly a "leatherite"! But the evidence for its existence IS there.

Matthew

Existence of 1 leather sub-armalis, possibly hardened, and rawhide lamellar armour of which we do not even know wether it was made by a: Romans, or B: the defenders of Dura..........

M.VIB.M.

:?
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
What would it take to make one from brass or a bronze material? If you can form a shape in leather, you could learn to hammer metal too, or am I being naive?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Build a Leather Musculata M. Demetrius 4 1,708 06-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Agraes
  Major update by Travis Lee Clark Lorica Musculata Antonius Congianocus 6 4,313 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Making a leather covered quilted linen cuirass Quintilianus 26 7,329 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Last Post: TDawson